Monday 11 February, 2008

Lost

Last evening
a poem came to me,
riding on the dark waves of my fourth drink
like a bright white ship.

Spotting you through the distortion of our cocktail glasses
I paused and thoughtfully rubbed my gin,
steering the ship in the approximate direction of where you were.

The rest of the evening was the same sea story:

You were a pirate, come to rob my ship.
And as I gazed at your convex dimple,
part eclipsed by an olive,
you stole all my metaphors
and a beautiful closing couplet,
leaving an empty bright white vessel.

This morning, there is a throbbing head in the glass
where an olive once was,
and I am left craving
a dead pirate's society.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, cool last stanza di!

Anoopa Anand said...

Hehehehe. I know people who'll kill me for that lame dead-pirate's-society item.

Kiran said...

Oh My God that is beautiful. My little Noopy is all grown up (snif!). Seriously, I'm doing my PhD in Lit, thinking of specializing in poetry, and yours is way up there.
Love you. You should start a Live Poets Society.

Anoopa Anand said...

Thank you, my beauty. Glad you like. Feel free to use my stuff for essays, analyses and the general promotion of impoverished writers in the third world. ;)

Meanwhile, you have not been writing at all?? Dying to read some Kiranisms. Write, write!
Much love.

Tartrazina said...

very nice dahling! :-)

just flakin' it said...

superb one, suuup it came!

Bikerdude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bikerdude said...

Yes now please grow long beard, wear kurta pajama and change name to Anoopansh Rai Bachchan.

PS: Your stuff is way better than his, so gimme 5 minit, I will ask him to change name to Harivanshpa Anand, OK? OK.

longblackveil said...

concave!

Roger Stevens said...

Hi Anoopa. How are you? I hear that someone has stolen all your metaphors! The cads.

I have rejuvinated my blog!!!
You can hear and download some of my music.

Hurrah!!!!

Gypsy said...

you stole all my metaphors
and a beautiful closing couplet,
leaving an empty bright white vessel


WOW!!!!