Monday 4 February, 2008

Ordinary Morning

The sun rises, yawning,
from the same white-curtained window,
stretching through the tear
that the cat’s claw made
so many years ago.

Ordinary morning:
orange screaming birds in flight;
thank God mornings are not
depressingly clinical white light.

Daybreak tests its groggy voice.
Suprabhatam inspiring a King’s breakfast,
Ian Anderson drags me out of bed.
Elsewhere Ms. Fitzgerald and the Azaan
and the Grateful Dead.

Ordinary morning:
everywhere rushing up and down scales.
There is no intolerance
in the melodies of morning-time tales.

Over the weekend, I met someone who actually reads my blog. It made me realise how infrequently I write, and how much about cricket. Mayura, hope this is more agreeable!

6 comments:

Skippy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skippy said...

Yay! I got mentioned! I am going to call all my freinds and make them read this! :D
Do write more. Especially when you are so good at it! :)

Anonymous said...

you are hanging out with that Eliot fan a lot it looks like. this is like that stanza from the The Preludes. Mins like good only. :)
greggi

longblackveil said...

We read you, bebby. Over and out. (I must now go write to Potato secretly...)

Anonymous said...

I *actually* read your blog too. Some day, I'll come and stretch and purr next to you to show you how much I like reading it.

Anoopa Anand said...

Mayura: You're a mad! Thank you kindly. And yes, I promise to write more.

Greggi/Potato: Nooooo! Is it? Is it? Crap. Okay. I need to re-learn how to write my own poetry. Damn JD!

Longblackveil: Yes. Ahem. Do you want to explain why you and my sister are doing clandestine things? Why don't you love me? Pick me. Choose me. Love ME. Sniff.

Puddy tat: :) Will wait then.