Wednesday 8 August, 2007

The Silken Web

On 4th August, Saturday, I had myself a little piece of personal history. You know, just in case, for a hitherto inexplicable reason, I become iconic, and people write about me for decades to follow, this day will feature. Take notes, y'all.

The Silken Web, a collection featuring 25 contemporary Indian poets, was launched by Unisun Publications in association with the British Council.

A selection of my poems was published, which is why I was there in the first place. Besides having to be in the intellectually intimidating company of Shashi Deshpande, Teresa Bhattacharya and Girish Karnad among many many others, I had, in a weak moment, agreed to read my poetry. On stage. There was a podium and shit. I hate stages with a passion mitigated only marginally when I'm singing, so it was immensely daunting.

But I ended up having a memorable experience, sharing my first book launch with friends and family. The highlight of my evening was getting to shake Shashi Deshpande's hand and being told that she thoroughly enjoyed my reading.

Piece of history. In my pocket. Here's a picture. I'm pretending to be animated. Podium and shit.



For more information on Unisun Publications and the work they do, go here.

6 comments:

Priyapravas said...

Very Cool! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I want to read the book too.

Anonymous said...

Good shit I say!!!! Super fine!!

just flakin' it said...

Twas a very very fine reading too! And I got the first autograph off Anoopa too, lest other unscrupulous groupies try to claim a subsidiary piece of afore-mentioned history for themselves!!!

Anoopa Anand said...

Peeps, Vivek: Thank you kindly.

Puddy tat: Certainly. Will let you know where you can buy the book. Premier Book Store most likely. Tell me if you want an autographed copy. :P

Amity: Not to forget the poster. "Ri, nammagey aa writer gotthu. Ee poster kodthira." Mmmmph.

Tartrazina said...

woo hoo Woman!!! why didn't you tell me!??!!