Wednesday 17 October, 2007

The end of an era

The Saab's farewell post to Inzy made me realise I can't ignore it for much longer. Inzamam ul-Haq, premier Pakistani batsman, captain and reluctant-runner-between-wickets bade his final farewell to Test cricket, at South Africa last Friday. I am sure far more worthy critics than I have many things to say, and I will allow them the honour.

I will, instead, recount my favourite Inzy moment. One that embodies his humility and wristy throwing of caution to the winds, as regards his manner of speech. Screw you, you English pundits, and listen to what I have to say.

After a particularly dogging spell of bad form during the 2003 World Cup, Inzy came gambolling back into form, captaining his side rather successfully, notwithstanding stray controversies. I think the speech I'm referring to was one he made during this time, after Pakistan beat New Zealand at a Test series. But I could be wrong. Inzamam was named Man of the Series, and Ravi Shastri at his debonair best, asked Inzy how it felt to be back in form. Inzy's enormous reply: "Yes, yes.So par I'm not got the pores and sixes. But this time I hawe been succexful." As the Queen's English took a shiner in it's left eye, and Ravi Shastri looked away wistfully into the grammatical distance, Inzy won all my love.

To end, a lovely picture of my hero and body-type style guru. And a tear marking the end of an era. I feel so all alone.



3 comments:

longblackveil said...

Awww, Hanif. Very nice. Between the twon of us we'll relive many Inzane moments.

Priyapravas said...

" bade his final farewell to Test cricket, at South Africa last Friday."

- correction in Pakistan.

wannabeWriter said...

haha...nice post...i enjoyed reading this one...inzi's so big he could roll faster than he could run...the same holds for ranatunga as well...At least he wouldn't get run out that way...and i'm not sure the laws of cricket have a "rolled out" method of dismissal...