Friday 6 April, 2012

CaPoWriMo Poem #4: A villanelle

The villanelle seems fairly villainous at first, when you see the structure. The first and third lines of the first stanza are rhyming refrains that alternate as the third line in each successive stanza and form a couplet at the close. A villanelle is nineteen lines long, consisting of five tercets and one concluding quatrain. Whew!
But it's a fantastic form. Because of the refrain, it is very song-like. It affords great sorrow and, I suspect, great joy. You won't believe which of the two I picked. Here's my CapoWriMo poem #4.

An Ordinary Villanelle

Today has been a good day:
The earth went 'round the sun,
You smiled from the photo frame.

I wrote seven mails at work,
Barely talked to anyone,
The earth went 'round the sun.

I cooked dinner for one
And watched the game, your game.
You smiled from the photo frame.

I didn't say anything clever,
I didn't even pun.
The earth went 'round the sun.

I went to sleep in silence
And woke up calling your name.
You smiled from the photo frame.

Tomorrow when I wake up
Today will seem the same:
The earth went 'round the sun,
You smiled from the photo frame.

4 comments:

Suhail Malik said...

I like :)

Unknown said...

its such a nice blog to provides info
hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!
for more plz visit
Local listing lucknow
business directory lucknow

http://ninjawarria.blog.com/2014/04/29/next-time-buy-her-a-pony/ said...

Hahha awesome, I love when I come across poetry blogs like this..I write myself..been a while though.

GST Courses Delhi said...

Great article, Thanks for your nice data, the content is quiet attention-grabbing. i'll be expecting your next post.