Saturday 31 May, 2008

The Elizabethans

About a week back, I had a house guest. Not one I particularly invited, so, perhaps, a house crasher. At first we openly hated each other, and since he was not paying my rent and I was not cooking his meals, it was okay for us to have this dysfunctional hate-hate relationship. But then I soon realised that since my sister and brother-in-law were out of town, the only other person I knew in the city who could speak English and Kannada was staying in my house, being actively hated by me.

So we changed tactics. I started treating him like a necessary evil and he limited himself to shuffling around my living room, particularly checking out the insects in the Tubelight Area. I even started calling him by his given name. Elizabeth and I shared a somewhat peaceful coexistence, although he did not take kindly to my mocking his love handles, seeing how, in his own words, i was a "Minute Maid swilling fat basket" myself. Not that I was particularly hurt. Nobody but nobody takes shit from a transvestite house lizard called Elizabeth.

I got back earlier this week from a lizard-free weekend in Bangalore, to find an absconding house guest. It's been six days, and there is still no sign of Elizabeth. Not that I miss him. Or anything. And he did leave behind the fruit of his fantasy pregnancy: I now have a small annoying giggly boy lizard with big black beady eyes, haunting the same Tubelight Area, mocking me in an an alarmingly Elizabethan manner, althought minus the love handles. His name is Shane. As in, you know, Warne. And he is definitely straight.

There is even less love lost between Shane and me. I am hoping he goes back to his father's soon enough. I prefer living alone, although I won't punctuate it in the manner of obviously single middle-aged fiction-literature icons by wearing a tattered wedding gown and stopping all the clocks.*




* Reference to Auden poem unintended.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok you either need to get out and meet people or drown into poetic worlds more often. - AR

moonstruckmoth said...

The moment I read the first para, I had a sneaky feeling it'd be abt a creature like a lizard...not that I'm clairvoyant...just that it reminded of a time during my hostel days when I took in a pet lizard...used to call him Lazarus n he had a gf called Lizzy...when she died, I even put up a semi-matrimonial ad for Lazarus on my yahoo profile seeking a good convent-educated lizard w/ a fair complexion...frm a cultured family blah blah...

Like the way u write...wld definitely keep lurking arnd ur lair :)

longblackveil said...

Of course Shane Warne! What else would you call the second lizard?

Reading comments on your post has taught me that 'Elizabeth/Lizzie' is the most popular name chosen by lizard parents for their offspring. This is only slightly disturbing.

*wink*

arvindiyer said...

You need to step out and meet people.. Thankfully there are enough and more slimy lizards out in the open who don't just limit their space to tubelights!!!

Anonymous said...

You are one of my favourite bloggers. I would write something witty - truth be told, there's this unspoken pressure to be witty when on your turf.

I'm going to ignore it.

Anoopa Anand said...

AR- What kind of person goes out when they have house guests?

Moonstruckmoth- Aah, the good old class/colour issue with lizards. Yes, it's a difficult world out there. Hope Lazarus found someone. Let me know if 'sex no bar' is part of Lazarus's scheme of things. I have an Elizabeth.

Longblack: Yes, of course. Must always name lizards after sex-crazed cricketers.

Arvind Iyer: What? Me? Meet new people? What will the old ones do? Yes, the other variety of slimy lizards are also available in surplus hereabouts. Want-eh?

Anonymous: I suppose if there can be anonymous writers, there can also be anonymous readers. Nevertheless, give us a name, and we'll promise to be witty enough for the both of us. (Notice usage of the royal 'we'. Elizabethan, remember? I suppose an Elizabethan prick will be a royal wee-wee? Okay. Enough. Offer still stands.)